Thursday, June 21, 2012

It is long past time for a new post!

Good Morning World!

It has been a long, long time since I have posted to this blog. I never really know what happens when a chunk of time slips away. Oh, of course, I have been busy. But what was I so busy with that I couldn't write a few words here and show a few pictures. Hummm, let us ponder....well I did join a new/old sewing group on Wednesday nights....I repainted my bedroom....I did pick up a lot of hours at work....It is Summer....I did reset my studio due to some work that was/is going to be done...? This list could go on and on, but the good thing is that I have enough stuff to share for three or four new posts! This is a good thing!

So let's start with the project that has take most of my time and energy...
In process and more process, my newest long term project:
Grandmother's Flower Garden.

At last count I had one row completed and 23 other flower
blocks done.
I have been working night and day on this beauty. To date I have 33 blocks completed and 10 of those are sewn together in the first row.

Every where I go I take my little pouch with all I need to make these pastel charmers and they never fail to start a conversation. People watch as I sit, open my little pouch and proceed to fill my lap with it's contents. First I take out the little scissors, then my glasses, and then either a block that has been started or the parts and pieces of a new bloom. They gazed in wonder as I put on my glasses thread a needle and start the tiny stitches that will hold my new garden together. The remarks like "how do you make those stitches so tiny?" or "Isn't that going to be beautiful?" or my favorite "I have a quilt like that made by my ???." . Oh and you know I say "Really, I would really love to see it! What is it made of? Is it complete?" and the conversation is off and running.

Now, I have no illusions that this quilt will take me years, so slow and steady is the rule. When I am done I am hope to hand quilt this fully hand pieced wonder, as machine quilting feels like cheating and could never do it justice. As for the finish I am on the fence. Shall I applique the edge to a thirties blue, pink, or green border? Shall I turn every edge under and painstakingly whip stitch the backing to the top (My personal favorite) to preserve the wandering edge? Or should I just whack the edge off. making it straight and easy to bind in the usual style?

What do you think? I think there is a lot of thinking pondering to be done and that is half the fun isn't it?

Happy Quilting, Joanne

No comments:

Post a Comment