Sunday, November 24, 2013

I think I have it! Oh, Maybe I don't?

And the struggle continues, but once again I think I am getting a handle on it? I think? Tomorrow I work a full 7 hours, I really do hope I have a handle on it by then. I have actually had one almost full day doing my actual job and I think I may have it! Okay, Okay, if it sounds like I'm trying to convince myself, I am!

I have started this fast paced, every changing job at a large chain store and I like it, I do, but, I also like to know what I am going to do at work today. With this job...Not so much? I mean I have a rough idea, but not a for sure rock solid idea. There's a meeting in the morning. It kinda goes like - "today we are blah, blah, and doing this blah, blah, and our goal is to blah, blah." Then an hour into the plan "poof" and I am alright with poof .....but the problem is at the end of the day, I simply don't know if I have done my job? Some days I feel as if "I have it and it is conquered! Yay!" Other days I have no idea if I accomplished anything.

I know I should be grateful that I have a job at all, but I would be so much more comfortable knowing I was doing it right. Don't you think? Enough said about that. So there!

I am sitting here writing this while the temperature drops outside and I feel a distinct chill. The kitties are huddling around me for warmth and comfort and so I know, Winter is surely on its way. I have the pellet stove cranking and it is slowly getting warmer. I guess the days of leaving it off so the sun can warm the house are done for now.

I have been slowly adding to Elaine's Garden Quilt.
Plenty of time for handwork projects like Grandmother's Flower Garden and making scrubbies!

What are scrubbies you ask? Well they are the singularly most useful 5 minute crochet project in the world. Around here we make them by the dozens, everybody wants some! I make them for a friend that participates in many craft shows, she can't keep up with the demand all by herself! It's amazing, really!

All you need for some super special scrubbies!
Six strips of Tulle cut in 2" widths and a K hook!
So how do you make a scrubbie, you ask? Well you buy lots and lots of scrubbie material (ie. Tulle), the scrubbier the better  (but not so scrubbie that it takes your hide off while you crochet). My friend and I have a store that offers lots and lots of colors for us to choose from. We buy three yards of each color that we like, I usually end up with 40 + yards and I get 18 strips from each yard, that is three scrubbies when all is said and done, for the 42 yards of material that is 126 scrubbies. It may seem like a lot of the little treasures, but they go like hotcakes round here. I am forever passing them out as hostess gifts and just thinking of you trinkets, people love them!

Once you have your material and your K hook (I like the one with bamboo on the handle), you need to cut all that tulle into 2" strips like in the picture above. I bundle sets of six strips in a roll with an elastic around it, then I put them all into a huge basket and they look kind of pretty just like that! However, we need to make them into scrubbies, so first you tie 2 strips end to end, chain 5, and slip stitch to make a circle. Then you make 2 single crochets in every chain and single crochet until you are at the end of the first two strips. Join three more strips, single crochet in every single crochet until you are at the end of those strips. Add the final strip and single crochet in every other single crochet until there isn't room to do that any more, finish off and tuck any left over tulle into the scrubbie. Ta Da! One scrubbie made! Now make lots and lots and put them all in a huge basket and step back....Are the pretty?

Helpful Hint: I use a shape cutter and an old rotary cutter to make my strips. The shape cutter is one of those tools many quilters have in their collection. Mine is rectangular with slits at half inch increments, I can't remember who puts it out, but you can find one at most quilt shops and JoAnn's Fabrics.

Oh and just a little update on the job thing, it has been a week or so since I started this post and now - yes - now I think I finally have it! Yes, you go to work with no preconceived idea of what the day will be and you say "what are we doing today" to which ever boss you run across and carry on from there. Just forget about the this is my job or I did all of my job today. Just don't even think "This is it! This is my job!" because surely it won't be for long and that's okay, just roll with it! The days fly by and my feet hurt, but for the most part I am enjoying the hustle and bustle of Big Box retail (For Now).

Here's hoping everyone a fantastically, wonderful Thanksgiving!

Joanne

1 comment:

  1. The above article is nice and interesting, thank you willing to share.
    clipping path

    ReplyDelete