Monday, October 21, 2013

On Keeping Calm and Carrying On

Wow, it has been almost a year since I completed a post! What a year it has been? Today finds me rattled and nervous. Why you ask? Well, I have been on a roller coaster ride for about 2 months and I am not sure I am happy with where I am ending up.

Let's start from the pseudo beginning, the point of separation from "My Life", in short I lost my fairly well decent paying job. The job that paid all most of the bills and kept me in a sort of "Real My Life". You know I could buy some fabric and do a little me shopping for clothes and such, but primarily it paid for food, shelter, and the other costs of living. It allowed me a regular schedule I could count on and had provided a sort of balance that was doable in this ever worsening economy.

Now it was no one's fault that this job ended, it just ended. You see I am a home care provider for the elderly and those jobs end very abruptly. "Bam" and it is gone and so is my beloved client! So I absorbed a double blow, a lost job and the loss of someone I care very deeply for. I am not alone in this, it is simply just the way it is. Not really fair, but there you have it.

Okay, so now I am wondering why I am writing this? On one hand I would love people to understand the incredible work home care workers do and on the other hand I am, yes, feeling sorry for myself and trying to find my way back to solid ground. So, as for the home care workers, I say "Bravo". You sacrifice a great deal to provide this service and in doing so have no network of benefits or support. You go, you provide and when the job is over, you leave and that is it. It is up to you to hurry up and find more clients and enough income to carry on. And so I will take a pass on feeling sorry for myself and I will carry on - proud of the work I have done, happy for the rich experience I was allowed and the wonderful supportive family I became a part of.

Now at this point, after careful consideration and waiting for suitable clientele, I have decide to look elsewhere, everywhere, anywhere that there maybe vacation time, sick time, and retirement. After all, do I want to find myself in this situation again in a year, a week, a month from now? It is time for true stability, a job that lasts, a job that I can count on being there until I retire. Until then, I will make do. Until I find that elusive balance once again I will - "Keep Calm And Carry On" ! Well, at least I know I will "Carry On" and I will keep quilting!


Some of the many projects.
And quilting!

Have a wonderful and smile!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Joanne,
    Thank-you so much for your kind comment on my blog! I am so glad to make your acquaintance here in blog land! I hope you continue to post on your blog as I think you do a wonderful job writing! I know when I started blogging a few years ago I never dreamed there would be so many people who cared to read my thoughts and ramblings! So many have become good friends and are so very supportive of my work and me for which I am grateful! Your comment means so very much and I want to thank-you again! I hope you find that job and things look up for you! Keep on quilting and keep the faith!!
    Hugs from your new follower in WI!
    Cathy G

    ReplyDelete